Local police said that the victims had spoken to someone selling the iPod and were directed to meet him at an address in Newport. They could not trace the home, on reaching the neighbourhood.
They asked for directions from two men standing nearby, who told them that they were the sellers. On taking out the money for payment, the two men snatched the cash and fled from the scene.
This incident has made Port Wentworth police offer certain guidelines on purchases from Craigslist:
1. Personal information is not to be provided; only information required for completing the transaction should be shared.
2. Seller or the buyer should be made at, preferably, public places; unfamiliar areas to be avoided.
3. Friends or family members to be informed about the place one is going to meet the client, going alone to be avoided, if possible.
4. A printed copy of the address should be taken; all contact information on the seller/buyer should be written and left at home. Copies of messages or mails pertaining to the purchase have to be retained.
5. Amount of cash carried to be mimimised to what is required for the purchase; other valuables, especially jewelry and the likes, should not be carried.
6. If your instincts point to something suspicious, leave the place immediately.